Some time ago, feminists had called climate change sexist. They opined that climate and nature takes a course such that it differentiates women and men in its treatment.
Reading that if you thought feminism can’t get more stupid in its objectivity, you will be in for a surprise.
In a similar attempt in South Asia, feminists are creating a theory that severe acute climate change in South Asia – precisely India and Bangladesh – which includes continuous periods of lack of rains and draught is being unfair to women.
As men from the sub-continent, who used to be solely dependent on agriculture for their livelihood, were forced to venture out to cities & towns for better prospect of livelihood and who in the process had encouraged their wives and women-family members to be on their own and give themselves as well as agriculture a chance, are being blamed for thrusting responsibility on women.
As per this news report from ‘The NEWS Minute’, men are being unfair and ignorant of their family members.
The reporter has conveniently failed to highlight the facts or outcomes of the process:
1. Women have been presented a situation where they can be on their own and be independent on their spouses for livelihood.
2. Women have been given a chance to be decision-makers when it comes to decisions related to their work and agriculture.
3. Needless to say they have become more empowered overall in the long run.
4. Boys, who had to dropout of their schools in villages in an attempt to earn along with their fathers, are forced to live an entire life of uncertainty as they will not be able to complete their education, most will stay uneducated forever.
5. Lack of education amongst boys will contribute less or will be counter-productive to the success and happiness quotient of themselves and the family in the long run, including their mothers and sisters they have left education for.
6. In their efforts to move out of the comforts of the village home, men are also taking up more challenges thrusted upon them, taking more responsibility for the sake of their families, which includes the women the report seems to be complaining about.
Below are a few reactions the news post has got from twitteraties which sumup the entire situation.
- #FeminismIsRetarded Gets What It Wants
- It seems Patriarchy has transformed into clueless Matriarchy
- Boys dropping out of school for lowwage jobs, lifelong uncertainty is unimportant. #FeminismIsCruel, stupid, idiotic.
Leaving you with the original news which is being referred to in this post.
Title: Climate change affects all, but women are facing new, more severe challenges, reports ‘The NEWS minute’.
Sub-Title: On the positive side, women are discovering new roles as decision-makers.
IANS| Monday, January 30, 2017 – 11:
By: Azera Parveen Rahman
Men migrating to bigger towns in search of employment, to support their families back home in the villages, is not uncommon. Climate change, which has caused a spike in natural disasters, has upped this “push” factor, adding to others like poverty and unemployment.
But what about women?
Not only has there been a rise in trafficking of women, but a World Bank study has also found that 14 per cent households in India are now women-headed, mainly because of male migration, creating an additional burden on them.
This feminisation of climate change-induced challenges has, however, not got the attention of government agencies. This is a serious gap that needs to be addressed, says a new study by ActionAid, Climate Action Network-South Asia, and Brot Fuer Die Welt (Bread for the World). The study, Climate Change Knows No Borders, analyses climate-induced migration and the challenges involved in South Asia, including India.
One read the news post here.